October 25, 2021
BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas & Rytis Vysniauskas talk about Jordi Bertomeu’s position as CEO and the most interesting Euroleague games of round 5
- Intro about Rytis finally joining Twitter (00:00);
- Potential NBA project in Europa (3:43);
- Who could replace Jordi Bertomeu as Euroleague’s new CEO? (08:51);
- Anadolu Efes get their first win (20:09);
- The struggles of O.J. Mayo and other newcomers from the NBA (27:15);
- Xavi Pasqual facing tough challenges with Zenit (30:43);
- Kenneth Faried’s unsuccessful first Euroleague minutes but CSKA overcoming obstacles again (35:48);
- Crazy moment of Alexey Shved (41:32);
- Mike James and Monaco disappointing performance vs Baskonia (42:52);
- Hard working Tadas Sedekerskis delivers (45:27);
- Drama in Milan as Olimpia extend their winning streak (46:38);
- Praises for Ellie Okobo and ASVEL (48:14);
- Memorable night for Edy Tawares and Real Madrid’s victory (50:55);
- Hero and Zero of the week nominations (55:50);
- Interesting time outs in Kaunas (01:01:12);
- Reacting to comments on Youtube (01:05:42);
- Best games to watch this week (01:15:47).
October 21, 2021
Sergio Scariolo talks to BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas about building a connection with Spain NT stars, Spain basketball future in the post-Gasol era, the missing piece in the bridge between NBA and Europe, why it would be a mistake to create a rivalry between him and Ettore Messina, and his expectations from a new chapter with Virtus.
- Intro, the reasons behind the discipline of Scariolo (00:00);
- The first speech at Spanish NT locker room (5:22);
- The turning point, when Scariolo went for his first title with Spain NT (8:29);
- Why it’s necessary to keep Pau Gasol in basketball (14:40);
- Ricky Rubio future with Spain NT (17:12);
- What’s wrong with the bridge between the NBA and European coaches (21:48);
- The NBA qualities which Scariolo will try to bring to Virtus (26:13);
- If Scariolo would win the Serie A at the age of 30 nowadays (30:00);
- Why you shouldn’t create a rivalry between Scariolo and Messina (33:58);
- What Scariolo wants from his new chapter with Virtus (37:21).
October 20, 2021
BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas & Rytis Vysniauskas discuss the hottest topics of the first four EuroLeague rounds.
- Intro about the long break between Urbonus episodes (00:00);
- What crossing the street between Monaco and France means (1:54);
- Are Anadolu Efes in trouble? (9:49)
- Rytis does his Ergin Ataman impersonation (16:11);
- The best EuroLeague team after four games (18:15);
- Our gift for Messina, jokes and unexpected atmosphere in Milan (22:23);
- Nikola Mirotic nemesis (30:05);
- Olympiacos statement, and massive room for their improvement (36:30);
- The next future Real Madrid player from ASVEL (41:59);
- The best announcer in the EuroLeague (46:42);
- Another headache for Itoudis; Faried, and Shved’s time (48:25);
- Why Crvena Zvezda is a team to respect (58:55);
- Maccabi problems and why Sfairopoulos shouldn’t be on a hot seat (1:02:23);
- The biggest Zalgiris mistake (1:07:38);
- Candidates to upgrade Zalgiris and must-do roster moves (1:15:20);
- Zdovc adjustments, head coaches on a hot seat (1:23:01).
October 13, 2021
Nikola Vujcic talks to BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas about the championship formula in the EuroLeague, debating the best modern EuroLeague team ever, a tough transition from playing to working in a front office for former basketball stars, the core of Maccabi future and changes he would like to see in Israeli basketball.
- The plan of surviving in Tel Aviv before the miracle happened (00:00);
- Maccabi vs. Anadolu Efes & the best EuroLeague team ever (3:13);
- Provoking miracles in Maccabi & Twitter GMs (9:10);
- Talking basketball with Anthony Parker (16:49);
- The tough transition from playing to the front office for ex-stars (19:22);
- Building the dynasty behind Sfairopoulos and Wilbekin (27:46);
- Marin Vujcic and main issue with Israeli basketball (31:50).
October 6, 2021
Monaco GM Oleksiy Efimov joins BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas to talk about creating a miracle in Monaco, recruiting Mike James, going through an incredible basketball journey, and building a team where one-third of residents are millionaires.
- Intro about meeting Alex Albon, Caroline Wozniacki, Novak Djokovic, and NBA stars in Monaco (00:00);
- How AS Monaco signed Mike James (5:37);
- The biggest highlight of the first-ever EuroLeague game in Monaco (10:57);
- How AS Monaco went after Donatas Motiejunas and the next big star in Monaco (13:50);
- How to attract people to watch basketball in Monaco when one-third of Monaco residents are millionaires (16:20);
- How Oleksiy Efimov became the sports director of Ukrainian club at the age of 21 (23:25);
- Who is the head of Monaco club Serhiy Diadetchko (26:15);
- How the sports journalist became the head coach of the Ukrainian team in few years and how terrorists set the basketball arena on fire (29:04);
- Key Zvezdan Mitrovic strength that fit Monaco project (32:53);
- Advantages and disadvantages of having a club in the Principality of Monaco and building the arena on the sea (36:23);
- The next dream for Monaco and Oleksiy Efimov (44:10);
September 27, 2021
BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas & Rytis Vysniauskas make the EuroLeague regular season predictions, listing all 18 teams from the 18th to 1st seed.
- Intro about playing poker with Marc Gasol in Vilnius and what Drew Nicholas picture is doing in our studio (00:00);
- Unprecedented hype around Wembanyama (11:18);
- The mysterious case of Luke Sikma (16:30);
- Why there’s not a lot of optimism about Zalgiris (19:39);
- Why it feels terrible to rank Crvena Zvezda that low (24:51);
- The potential game-changer for Panathinaikos (30:34);
- The main difference between UNICS and Monaco gamble (35:15);
- Trust the process, Andrea Trinchieri edition (47:35);
- Baskonia potential to become one of the most attractive EuroLeague teams (50:28);
- Another big distraction for Maccabi playoffs chase (54:35);
- Bold prediction about Zenit not making the playoffs (59:18);
- What makes Olympiacos so attractive this year (1:06:38);
- The last-minute move which made Fenerbahce even better(1:10:28);
- What Armani Exchange might lack making the Final 4 again (1:16:04);
- Why we trust Real Madrid (1:20:58);
- Underrated summer for Barcelona and why it’s too early to be tired of Saras (1:23:35);
- What can stop Anadolu Efes from winning the EuroLeague again (1:28:26);
- What makes CSKA the favorites to win the EuroLeague regular season (1:31:45).
September 21, 2021
Kevin Punter joins BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas to talk about the roots of his scoring mentality, crucial shot in the Final 4 which could have changed a future, and his road from getting paid $5k per month to choosing between the elite clubs in Europe.
- Intro about comparisons with Kevin Durant and mastering his signature pull-up shot (00:00);
- The most challenging defender and facing Mike James or other elite scorers (4:58);
- The crucial shot in the EuroLeague Final 4 that still hurts to this day and how it could have changed his future (7:08);
- What changed his primary plan to stay in Milano and what he loved the most about Zeljko’s pitch (11:00);
- Tough rookie experience, weirdest European basketball lessons, and thinking about going home in December (14:20);
- Finding a balance between a selfish and team-friendly scorer and coach who helped in two most pivotal points of his career (19:52);
- Partizan players need to step up for Zeljko and chip on Punter’s shoulder (24:33).
September 17, 2021
BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas & Rytis Vysniauskas pay their respects after the passing of legendary coach Dusan Ivkovic. When they discuss sensational Monaco move with Mike James, how Barca lost the Supercopa final, and emotional Zeljko’s return to Istanbul.
- Intro about Manu’s retro jerseys and Cibona in the second-hand shop (00:00);
- How we’ll remember Dusan Ivkovic (7:18);
- Great fit for Mike James and if he makes Monaco the playoff team (13:00);
- Another incredible story of Sergio Llull (27:02);
- Disappointing Nikola Mirotic (32:10);
- Barcelona downfall, perfect Poirier fit, underrated Oriola, questionable decision with Jokubaitis (36:12);
- Crucial referee’s mistake in the Supercopa final (40:16);
- Why it won’t be that easy for Partizan to win the EuroCup(46:11);
- Great leadership examples of Zach LeDay and Kevin Punter (52:13);
- Behind the scenes of an emotional Zeljko’s return (56:50);
- Just Ataman things and reasons behind his mental change (1:02:37);
- Should we be concerned about Zalgiris and Schiller status factors (1:11:22);
- If Efes would make the NBA playoffs (1:23:11);
- All-EuroLeague Favorite 5 for the upcoming season (1:26:40).
September 14, 2021
Mario Hezonja joins BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas to talk about a blessing offer going through a very tough period of his life, an enormous love story with Panathinaikos, a weird situation that forced him to leave Athens, NBA leadership examples for his new chapter in Europe, and feeling alive again.
- How the EuroLeague changed, and what Hezonja was missing in the NBA (00:00);
- Why Sarunas Jasikevicius would have cut Hezonja’s head, and how the NBA changed his game (5:19);
- “I felt like I’m done with playing” (11:27);
- The blessing opportunity in Athens and weird situation why he left Panathinaikos (15:30);
- How UNICS impressed Hezonja and offers he received in summer which would make a mess in Greece (20:14);
- If joining the Barcelona was a real option (26:14);
- The leadership examples Hezonja learned in the Portland Trail Blazers (29:52);
- The reward of getting through the challenging NBA moments and what made him feel alive again (36:01).
September 12, 2021
We apologize for the sound in this episode, as we ran into some technical issues with Donatas' microphone during the recording & had Vasilije's microphone too close to his beard.
Vasilije Micic talks to BasketNews’ Donatas Urbonas about why he turned down the CSKA offer and the NBA opportunity, how he makes the most important decisions of his life, and the special qualities of this championship team.
- Intro & the party with Nikola Jokic that didn’t happen (00:00);
- From Mega to NBA MVP, how Nikola Jokic never changed (2:17);
- The main thing behind Vasilije Micic free agency decision (9:00);
- Very early unexpected offer from CSKA Moscow and why it was bad timing for the NBA (14:33);
- The NBA comparison for Vasilije Micic and fundamental reason why he stayed in Efes (21:53);
- What is a good NBA situation for Vasilije Micic and Luka Doncic example (27:00);
- If Micic agrees with Ataman that Efes would make the NBA playoffs (32:31);
- Why Micic stopped following basketball that much (34:40);
- Big desire outside playing and future head coaching possibility for Micic (37:10);
- Why Micic didn’t believe Efes will keep the core after the championship season and special relationship with Shane Larkin (39:50);
- Crucial Efes team meeting after blowout loss to CSKA and how to keep championship team hungry for another title (45:57);
- What’s the No. 1 EuroLeague draft pick for Vasilije Micic (53:56).